You've probably heard that meditation is beneficial when it comes to stress reduction, attention span and sleep (just to name a few) but you may not know how to start. Luckily, there is a plethora of tips and resources to help you get started.
Today, we'll be going over some of our favorite tips when it comes to relaxation and mindfulness.
- Find a quiet place and settle on a comfortable chair, bench or cushion. Don't feel like you have to sit cross-legged, in fact some people may find this position to be uncomfortable. Instead, sit in a way that's comfortable for you.
- Begin with a 5-minute session. Jumping straight to 20 minutes when you're just beginning can make you feel overwhelmed (which is counterintuitive to what you're trying to achieve).
- Stretch out-before you begin, it's important to stretch your body and get it ready to sit comfortably for a long period of time. Remember, yoga and meditation go hand in hand.
- If you're new to meditation, trying out guided meditation is a great place to start. YouTube has some great free resources that you can check out here.
- Remove distraction-this isn't the time to have your phone nearby.
- Set a timer-when you have a timer set, you're less likely to stop your practice and check in with the clock.
- Consistency-creating a consistent ritual or routine is essential whether you're practicing for 5 min or 20.
- Have fun-don't take your practice too seriously, this is a time to let everything go and allow your mind to wander.