While in-flight, we're exposed to changes in cabin pressure, de-humidified air, re-circulated microbes just to name a few stressors. There’s a lot going on, but what really wreaks havoc on our skin is the dry, dry, air-we’re talking 3-20% humidity (which is less than half of what most people are used to). When your skin senses that it’s dry, guess what it does? It bumps up oil production to compensate, which is a perfect breeding ground for acne. Enough of the reasons behind airplane acne, here are some ways to tackle it:
- The night before your plane takes off, lightly exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells and avoid build up that could trap excess oil.
- Stay hydrated inside and out! Before you leave the house, apply an oil based serum to ensure your face is hydrated. Don't forget to drink plenty of water
- If possible skip the makeup, it can become flaky and clog pores
- If you absolutely must wear makeup, remove it with a gentle makeup removal wipe
- Rehydrate your skin with your favorite moisturizer (remember to bring travel-sized bottles)
- Aim to drink 2L of water for every 3 hours you are flying
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol which can sabotage hydration